Italian Beef Sandwiches at Home – Ryan’s Recipe
Skip the restaurant, save some money, and bring the flavor of Italy home by making your own Italian Beef Sandwiches in your Crockpot.
Sometimes a good, hearty sandwich just sounds good. Not only does this recipe satisfy that desire, it's easy to put together, and the crock pot does all the work! Here's how to make it happen:
Note: The recipe I followed called for a 4-5 pound roast which is more than my family needs, so I used a smaller roast and cut the recipe in half.
- 1 beef tip sirloin roast* (2-3 pounds)
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) of beef broth
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/8 cup cider vinegar
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- 1/2 envelope Italian salad dressing mix
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 jar of pepperoncini peppers (optional)
- 1 jar giardiniera (optional)
- 1 package hoagie rolls, sandwich buns, or 1 loaf of French Baguette sliced into sandwich sized pieces
*Any type of beef roast works. I used a top loin roast because the store didn't have a sirloin roast, and it was reasonably priced.
Combine the broth, water, vinegar, soup mix, salad dressing mix, garlic, oregano, basil, and as many or as few pepperoncini peppers as you'd like in the crock pot and stir to combine.
Place the roast in the pot, set on low for 7-8 hours, and enjoy your day.
Once cooking is completed, remove the roast from the crock pot and shred with two forks. Return shredded meat to the crock pot. Warm your choice of bread and serve topped with giardiniera, and a side of au jus.