What’s Cookin’?: The Shrimp Burrito Bowl [Recipe]
Kelly Bland, from the UK Cooperative Extension Office, is back for another edition of What's Cookin'? here on WBKR. This week, she's "plating up" a healthy, delicious and cost-conscious recipe that is perfect for shrimp lovers. Here's how to make the UK Cooperative Extension Service's Shrimp Burrito Bowl.
SHRIMP BURRITO BOWL
• 1 pound mini shrimp, cooked and thawed
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
¼ teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 (14.5 ounce) can yellow corn,drained or 1 1/2 cup fresh corn kernels
2 cups cooked brown rice
1 avocado, chopped
½ small red onion, diced
1 (14.5 ounce) can low-sodium black beans, drained
½ cup Greek yogurt
½ cup salsa
1. In a medium bowl, combine shrimp,chili powder, garlic powder and salt.
2. Heat olive oil in a medium sized skillet over medium heat and add coated shrimp. Cook until warmed through and flesh is white, about 2-3 minutes. *If using fresh corn kernels, add with the shrimp to heat.
3. Using shrimp, corn, rice, avocado, onion and black beans, assemble each serving in a separate bowl.
4. In a small bowl, mix together Greek yogurt and salsa. A small amount of water can be added for a thinner consistency. Pour over prepared bowls.
UK Cooperative Extension is committed to developing quick, tasty, affordable recipes that allow you to feed the entire family AND supply them with essential nutritional components. Kelly Bland joins Angel and me on the fourth Monday of every month on our What's Cookin'? segment.