Take a Video Tour of the New Evansville Meijer Superstore [VIDEO]
The new Meijer Superstore on North Green River Road in Evansville had it's "soft opening" on Thursday morning, ahead of their Grand Opening on Sunday, and I had the opportunity to stroll through the store to see what it's all about.
Based in Michigan, Meijer has been in business for over 80 years serving six states in the Great Lakes region and the Midwest. Until Thursday, the only time I've seen a Meijer store is whenever I've driven past them while traveling through the Indianapolis area where they have a number of stores scattered across the city. When the announcement was made we were getting one here in Evansville, a co-worker that grew up in Minnesota was thrilled, saying "If Meijer doesn't have it, you don't need it."
That gave me a pretty good idea that this wasn't just another run-of-the-mill grocery store, or superstore. An idea that was validated when I stepped through the doors on Thursday morning.
All I can say is this, Meijer is HUGE! My co-worker was right, they seemingly have everything, a full size grocery store complete will deli, bakery, butchers, and everything else you can imagine. On top of that, there's home decor, stuff for your kitchen and bath, clothes, sporting goods, toys, and a whole lot more.
Thursday's "soft opening" included comments from the store director, Gordon Venema, Meijer CEO, Hank Meijer, as well as Mayor Lloyd Winnecke.
More Meijer Facts:
- Meijer employs more than 270 full- and part-time team members at each store
- Meijer supports its communities through creation of jobs, tax revenue and philanthropic support
- Meijer donates more than 6 percent of its net profit to charitable organizations each year.
- Meijer has a long-standing commitment to supporting local growers and buying local when available and when the quality meets Meijer high standards.
- The locally-grown program has a total economic impact of nearly $100 million annually.
- The Meijer Simply Give program has generated more than $18 million to help local food pantries serve hungry families.
- Meijer’s team of Healthy Living Advisors provide communities with education on planning healthy and affordable meals, and cooking for special dietary needs.
- More than 100,000 different products available at affordable prices.
- Meijer stores offer 600+ types of high quality fresh produce.
- A true marketplace feel to our store, providing fresh produce delivered daily, bakery items, such as bread and custom decorated cakes made throughout the day, and a full-service deli.
- A traditional butcher shop environment, complete with certified meat cutters and full-service meat counters with custom-cuts of Certified Angus Beef.
- Meijer stores offer full-service pharmacies, free prescription programs, clinical services and immunizations.
- Meijer stores include an expansive Garden Center and fresh floral arrangements.
- Many Meijer stores offer a gas station and convenience store
[Fact Source: Meijer.com]