At 27 years old, I was stung for the first time. Not knowing if I was allergic or not was the worst fear.

It's no secret that I have a pool, live in the country and spend a lot of time out doors on the weekend. I have always been an outdoorsy person, even growing up. Throughout my 27 years, I had never been stung. I always heard people say that they are allergic and have Epipens for this. I have never even seen someone get stung that was allergic.

Yesterday, on a normal Sunday evening, my friends, husband, and I decided we were going to head in the house. The sun was setting and we were taking stuff inside. I walked around the pool to get our floating cooler that had made its way to the other side of the pool. While wearing my swim suit cover up I got to the other side and grabbed the pool net to bring it close to me. As I was laying the pool net down, I apparently disturbed some wasp who had taken up residence under our deck. Two of them swarmed me and one successfully stung me under my arm and I swear I could not get this thing to get off of me. The sting was probably one of the most painful things I have ever endured (keep in mind I have had a few surgeries and accidents in my time).

Women scratch the itch with hand

My husband heard me scream because I thought I was going to die. He didn't know what happened. After all, I can be a bit dramatic. I hollered to him across the yard I was stung. He didn't know this was a first time sting for me. my arm started to get stiff, hard, hot, red and swell. It was NOT cute. I was petrified I was allergic. I kept breathing slowly and in through my nose and out through my mouth, flat out terrified for my throat to close. I got inside and tried to put ice on it, but that made it worse. At this point I knew I wasn't experiencing anaphylactic symptoms. Thankfully, I had some allergy medicine and took it (antihistamine supposedly helps) followed up by some Tylenol. The pain was so intense! After trying to google things, a friend of mine who is in fact allergic told me what works. She made up a baking soda and water paste. She caked this on. It dried up and once it was completely dry, I washed it off and patted my skin dry. It was like I hadn't been stung! Granted, my arm still hurts and is tender 12 hours later but thankfully I took some necessary steps that made all the difference.

If you happen to get stung by a wasp this summer, here are some great tips!

1. If you are allergic, always keep you epipen with you and make sure you or someone you know can use it! Of course, you should seek medical attention as well.

2. Tylenol or any OTC pain reliever. Trust me, you will want it.

3. Allergy medicine with antihistamine is essential because it will help with the itching.

4. Baking Soda Paste- This is the most important and helpful. just put some baking soda in a dish with a tiny bit of water (mix into a paste) and apply it to the affected area. This takes that sting feeling, burning feeling, and really all the feelings away!

5. Tetanus- If you haven't had a tetanus shot in 10 years, call your doctor and get one scheduled.

More From WDKS-FM