What are the Requirements to Drive for Uber?
With Uber coming to Evansville, many people are looking to get some extra cash driving. But what are the requirements?
Being an Uber driver is a great way to make some extra cash on your schedule. However, there are some requirements to make sure not just any shady character can start picking up people. According to I Drive With Uber, here are those requirements:
Uber Driver Requirements
Uber Driver Age Requirements
- You must be 21 years of age or older.
- You must have 3 years driving experience. If you have recently moved from another state, you may have to verify your driving history. Keep your out-of-state drivers license. You might need it.
Other Uber Driver Requirements
- You need to have in-state car insurance in your name.
- You must have in-state car registration. It does not need to be in your name.
- You must have an in-state Driver’s License.
- You must have a Social Security Number for a background check.
- Clean driving record.
- Pass a background check.
The background check is done by a company called Hirease. It will take a few days.
Background check: make sure that in the past 7 years you have had…
- No DUI or drug-related offenses.
- No incidents of driving without insurance or license.
- No fatal accidents
- No history of reckless driving.
- No criminal history.
Uber Driver Car Requirements
You must have a vehicle (or purchase one) that meets the Uber Car Requirements.
The UberX vehicle requirements are:
- 4-door sedan, must seat 4 or more passengers excluding driver.
- Year 2001* or newer.
- In-state plates.
- No marked, taxi, or salvaged vehicles.
- Pass Uber vehicle inspection.
- The car must be currently registered, but your name does not have to be on the registration.
*Uber car year requirements can vary by city. It is currently year 2001 or newer in many cities.
If you meet those requirements, you can apply to be an Uber driver here!