With everyone's furnaces and heaters running on full blast for the winter, the Evansville Fire Department is warning everyone about the dangers of Carbon Monoxide (CO). A CO detector is different from a smoke alarm and has to be checked regularly. The EFD also recommends testing your carbon monoxide at least once a month, and to replace them IMMEDIATELY if they fail the test.

According to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention, CO is found in fumes produced any time you burn fuel in cars or trucks, small engines, stoves, lanterns, grills, fireplaces, gas ranges, or furnaces. CO can build up indoors and poison people and animals who breathe it.

The most common symptoms of CO poisoning are headache, dizziness, weakness, upset stomach, vomiting, chest pain, and confusion. CO symptoms are often described as “flu-like.” If you breathe in a lot of CO it can make you pass out or kill you. People who are sleeping or drunk can die from CO poisoning before they have symptoms.

Everyone is at risk for CO poisoning but infants, the elderly, people with chronic heart disease, anemia, or breathing problems are more likely to get sick from CO. Each year, more than 400 Americans die from unintentional CO poisoning not linked to fires, more than 20,000 visit the emergency room, and more than 4,000 are hospitalized.

If your CO detector fails its test, you might want to check the great deals they have on Amazon like this 2-in-1 battery powered Carbon Monoxide and Smoke detector.

Stay warm and safe this winter by keeping your detectors working properly. They just might save your life.

WDKS-FM logo
Enter your number to get our free mobile app

More From WDKS-FM