EVSC Backpack Club Looks to Changes Lives One Meal at a Time
We need your help in making sure kids right here in the tri-state are getting good, healthy meals when the school week is over.
Unfortunately for many kids in Evansville, the best (and sometimes only) meals they get are during the school day. Due to tough financial situations at home, where parents are faced with putting food on the table or keeping a roof over the family’s head, many of these kids don’t get the important nutrition they need on the weekends or over holiday breaks.
As the husband of a local teacher who deals with kids from low-income families, I hear stories about kids who come to school on Monday mornings and devour a plate of food in the cafeteria because the last meal they ate was lunch the Friday before. It’s a sad reality, that you can help us change.
State Farm Agent Mary Rokicki and 106-1 KISS-FM are proud to help support the Evansville-Vanderburgh School Corporation’s Backpack Club. The goal of the Club is to fill backpacks full of non-perishable food items which the EVSC discreetly delivers to the students who need it most.
Food donations can be dropped off at the 106-1 KISS-FM offices in downtown Evansville, GFS Marketplace on Burkhardt Road, or at the office of State Farm Agent Mary Rokicki on the south end of the Schnuck’s complex on North Green River Rd.
View EVSC Backpack Club Drop Off Locations in a larger map
These are the items we’re looking for:
- 100% fruit juice in aseptic packaging
- Entrees (shelf stable), i.e. Lunchables or cans in individual serving size
- 2% milk in aseptic packaging
- Small cans of vegetables and fruits
- Tuna salad kits
- Cereal bars
- Microwave lunch cups, i.e. ravioli, etc.
- Cereal individual servings in bowls or boxes
- Trail mix
- Dried Fruit
- Peanut butter
- Fruit cups – shelf stable or applesauce
Be sure to stop by and drop off your donation during our live broadcasts at State Farm Agent Mary Rokicki’s office on the following days:
- Wednesday, December 5th from 11am-1p with The Rob
- Friday, December 7th from 4-6pm with The Rob
- Wednesday, December 12th from 11am-1pm with Ryan O’Bryan
- Friday, December 14th from 4-6pm with Kat Mykals
- Wednesday, December 19th from 4-6pm with Kat Mykals