Avoid Chapped Lips This Winter with Homemade Flavored Lip Balm
Winter is coming (Game of Thrones reference NOT intended), and that means bitter temperatures, generated by cold winds that will leave your lips cracked like a sidewalk. Instead of rushing to the store to stock up on lip balm, make enough at home to last 10 winters for around $5.00.
My son and daughter are all into crafty things. My son especially enjoys making things that you can actually use. No joke, the boy has made his own bar soaps and body scrubs using recipes my wife has found on Pintrest. What can you say, the boy likes to relax after a rough day of learning 3rd grade math.
Pintrest was also the inspiration behind this DIY lip balm, which I must say is pretty cool, and really easy to make. If you couldn't tell from the picture above, it only takes the following around-the-house ingredients:
- One Jar Petroleum Jelly
- Drink Mix Packets (the one-serve water flavoring packets work too)
- Cereal Spoon
- Medicine Dropper
- Plastic Storage Containers
Here's what to do with all of it:
- Using the cereal spoon, transfer two scoops of jelly to a plastic container or bowl.
- Add the drink mix and using the medicine dropper, add one to two drops of water (this will help dissolve the powder and change the color of the jelly).
- Stir using the spoon if mixing in a bowl. If stirring in a small container, use a cotton swab or toothpick.
- Seal container and store in the medicine cabinet, or throw it in your purse to have it on the go.
To apply, simply place a little on the tip of your finger, and rub it on your lips.
It may be a little gritty for a couple of days, however the powder should dissolve in the jelly over time. The hard part will be trying not to lick it all off.