Netflix Party Lets Friends Have Movie Night While Social Distancing- Here’s How It Works
Who wants to quarantine and chill with their friends?
We may be practicing social distancing, but that doesn't mean that you still can't have movie night with friends or family.
Google Chrome just launched a new feature called Netflix Party. This is where groups of friends can virtually watch Netflix shows and movies together on their computers. Netflix Party also has a chat room, so you can share your thoughts on what you just watched with your friends.
All you need to take advantage of Netflix Party is a Google Chrome browser, the extension, and your Netflix subscription.
According to USA Today, here's how it works:
1. Go to netflixparty.com on a Google Chrome browser and click "Get Netflix Party for free!" This will redirect you to Netflix Party's page on the chrome web store.
2. Click "Add to Chrome" and then click "Add extension" in the pop-up window. Netflix Party will then be added to the top right corner of your Google Chrome browser, next to the address bar. It will have the initials "NP."
3. Make sure your friends have downloaded "NP" onto their Google Chrome browsers as well.
4. Using your Google Chrome browser, go to Netflix.com, and play the show or movie you all want to watch.
5. Then click the "NP" button on your browser. You'll also have the option of making yourself the one in charge of pausing, fast-forwarding and rewinding by checking the "Only I have control" box. If you don't, anybody in your party will be able to use these features.
6. Click "Start the Party" and copy the URL that appears. Send this URL to the people you want to join your party.
7. Once your friends open the link, they should log into Netflix and hit the "NP" button on their Google Chrome browsers.
8. You should now be synced up! Enjoy your program. You can also communicate with each other via group chat on the right side of the screen. Choose a festive user icon and screen name and share all your binge-watching feels through messages, screenshots, emojis and GIFs.
Get your friends together and catch up on your favorite Netflix show while you're off work and social distancing!