Kat Turns 35 Today – Here’s 35 Life Lessons as Her Gift to You
Today I turn 35. I’ll be honest – I was dreading it, but it’s turned out to be a pretty good day! I thought to celebrate I would give you 35 lessons that I have learned in life, as my birthday gift to you.
At 35, I still don’t have it all figured out. This thing called life can be quite a challenge. Between being a mom, a wife and the voice you hear on your radio, it can get pretty hectic & sometimes I lose site of the important things. So… I took some time to make out of list of 35 lessons that I’ve learned that can make life a little easier when we remember them. These are not things that I remember every day, but my hope is that this will be a list that you and I can come back to as reference to help remember when we need to.
- Don’t worry what other people think of you.
- Don’t compare your inside to other people’s outsides.
- You cannot fight growing older, but you certainly can age with grace and class.
- Children do not come with an instruction manual… and you are going to screw it up; it’s inevitable. Just love them with all you have and cherish every moment.
- You will not always have all of the answers, and that’s OKAY!
- Remember to say please & thank you. Good manners will get you far in life.
- Crying in front of others does not make you weak.
- It is not how many times you get knocked down. It’s how many times you get back up that matters. Yes, that’s a “Tub-Thumping” reference!
- You will never achieve perfection. It is impossible. Progress, however is totally attainable, if you work for it.
- Work for it. It’s worth it.
- The dishes and laundry will not do themselves, however while you are cleaning them, your children are growing older… the dishes and laundry will wait. Stop, sit down in the floor and draw pictures with your children… or build forts, or fly kites or whatever they are asking of your time. Before you know it, they will be grown and they won’t ask anymore.
- Have dessert! It tastes good. You deserve it!
- Take care of yourself…. even if it’s just taking a few minutes to paint your nails or get your hair done. Again, you deserve it!
- Sing! When your favorite song comes on the radio, turn it up LOUD and sing at the TOP of your lungs! I promise, it will make your heart happy!
- Don’t sweat the small stuff. Seriously… ask yourself. “Will this matter in a year? In 5 years?” If the answer is no, then let it go.
- First impressions are not everything. We all have bad days. We are human. Second chances… now THOSE are everything.
- Say I love you. Every day. You never know when it might be your last chance to tell someone you care about them.
- The best thing you can ever say to your child is “No.” Teach them that the real world is not always going to give them everything that they want.
- People are going to disappoint you. Forgive them. It will free you.
- Be kind. Always be kind. You never know the struggle that someone else is facing.
- Surround yourself with kind, compassionate people. They will fuel your spirit & feed your soul.
- Do what you love and love what you do…
- Be grateful. Be grateful everyday. Even for the small things that we often take for granted… somewhere there is someone who has little or nothing who would give anything for half the life you live.
- Be a philanthropist! If you can’t give money, give time. If you can give money, give both. Sometimes your time means more than anything else.
- Learning to love the person that you are is the greatest gift that you can give to yourself.
- Laugh often. Out loud. From the bottom of your soul.
- Rid yourself of negativity. The best way to do that, is to be grateful. (See #23)
- Find that one thing that brings you joy… and do it often. Whether it’s singing, painting, dancing… Just. Do. It.
- Celebrate not only the major milestones in life, but also the small successes. They come far more often than the big ones, but deserve just as much celebration.
- Always be yourself. The people that will love you the most in your life will be the ones who can know the real you. Those are the people that are worth hanging on to.
- Don’t take yourself so seriously!
- Never take for granted the people who are good to you. I don’t mean people who do things for you or give you stuff… I mean the people who are there to help pick you up when you fall.
- Be that friend. When someone is down, help them up. Friendship is a 2 way street. B there for your friends when they need you, not just when you need them.
- Breathe. Just breathe. Sometimes, in certain situations, it’s the only thing you can do.
- Do the right thing… Even when it isn’t easy… Even when it isn’t cool… Do the right thing. You will sleep better at the end of the day.
And One to Grow On!
Learn to forgive yourself. You’ve made mistakes. You have hurt people. That doesn’t make you a bad person. It makes you human. Learn from the past, and let it help pave the way for your better future. This is who I am, but it isn’t who I have always been…
Subscribe to WDKS-FM on