Disaster may have been averted, but that didn't stop our stomachs from dropping to our ankles over this news. The adorably neurotic American girl crush known as Jennifer Lawrence almost died on the set of the next 'The Hunger Games' film, 'Mockingjay.' Whoa. Wait. What? What happened?

The actress and Oscar winner nearly choked to death on the fumes emitted by a fog machine while on set in Atlanta. A source said that the incident was "horrifying" -- well, yeah! -- and that filming came to a halt when the machine broke during a critical scene when J. Law's Katniss Everdeen leads a rebellion through a tunnel filled with smoke, and she was unable to be located in the dense plume.

A source said the machine "began spewing so much dense smoke during a tunnel sequence that Jennifer literally disappeared from sight -- and everybody panicked." The actors couldn't find their way out of the thick smoke and began choking and gagging. The only way those on set could locate them was by the sound of their coughs.

An assistant director called for the plugs on the machine to be pulled and to run fans during the attempt to get Lawrence out of the fray.

The source said, "After several scary minutes, a rescue crew finally found the star and carried her out, hacking and gagging. Jennifer's one tough gal, but she looked really shook up, and kept complaining she felt very nauseous -- like she was suffering from vertigo."

Talk about an occupational hazard!