A while back my boyfriend asked me if I would ever want to go to Louisville to the Waverly Hills Sanatorium haunted house. Not wanting to look like I was too scared & thinking that it would never actually happen, I said yes - like an idiot.

Of course when he found out that I was flying to Chicago out of Louisville, he jumped on the opportunity to offer to drive me to the airport, so we could go to Waverly Hills while we were there. I was completely fine with it, until the drive to the haunted house. Thats when I started to really lose my cool. Just being near that place was creeping me out, so I couldn't imagine what it was going to be like once I actually got inside.

Tickets were $20 a piece, which I didn't think was bad, because that seems to be the average cost of haunted houses around here. Once we got those, we walked up the path to wait in line until our group was taken in. Every part of me wanted to take off running from the line and get out of there - but he had the car keys, so I was pretty much stuck.

When they finally called for our group to go in, I felt like I could have puked. (Keep in mind, I hadn't been to a haunted house in 9 years because the last one had scared me so bad.) My boyfriend thought it was hilarious. Me, not so much. The first thing they did was line us up right in front of the building. & then it began.

It started with a light show on the building that was out of this world. They made it look like blood was running down the walls and spirits were trying to escape. It was insanely realistic. All I could think at this point was "If they put this much effort and effects in the part that is not even meant to scare people, what the hell is waiting for me inside?!"

Then the doors opened - & I almost cried. I was sure to wedge myself in between two people (by boyfriend in front of me, and some random dude behind me) so that I knew that nothing was going to get to me. I had no idea who the guy behind me was, but I was sure to let him know that his job for the night was to watch my back. The second we get into the building, we saw a video that gave a story about the sanatorium and the people that died there. The whole time we were watching it, characters were constantly trying to scare you. Of course the picked me out of the crowd and decided that they were just going to stand next to me the whole time. I just kept repeating "It's not real, it's not real, it's not real" over and over again.

It was finally time to go on with the tour - I wanted to die. Unfortunately there was no turning back at this point, but I was still keeping my eyes peeled for a quick way out. Every time we would pass a character, I would throw my boyfriend in front of me to act as a human shield, but it didn't work out so well. I was staying much calmer than I expected to. That is until a man gnawing on a human leg started breathing down my neck. I PANICKED! I couldn't get out of that room fast enough, because my boyfriend was in the way. So like any good girlfriend would, I shoved him out of my way as fast as I could to get to safety leaving him behind. (If you can't get out of my way fast enough when I'm that scared, you're getting left behind with the zombies.)

The entire haunted house was terrifying. But I'm pretty proud of myself for making it through, and I even kept my eyes open (through out most of it.) The entire tour was about 1.5 hours. Keep in mind thats 90 minutes of none stop fear. But it was worth every second of it.

If you are thinking about going, I highly recommend it. The entire experience was awesome. I don't want to give away everything that was inside, but just know that you won't be disappointed.