Beware! Wild Bobcat Spotted in Newburgh!
Find out where the Bobcat has been spotted!
Yep, you read that headline correct: a bobcat has been spotted in Newburgh. There were reports of this taking place about a week ago but we now have photos of what the bobcat looks like. This was shared by several people on Facebook last night:
If you encounter the bobcat, here are some safety tips that could save your life:
Should you encounter a bobcat, you should keep as much distance between you and the animal as possible:
- Immediately protect children and pets
- Back away from the bobcat slowly and deliberately
- Avoid running away because that could trigger a pursuit response
- If possible, spray the animal with water
- When possible make a lot of noise (banging pans, for instance, or blowing an air horn)
These tips are from the website DesertUSA. Luckily, the website does say that bobcat attacks are rare, however, you should proceed with caution. The website offers tips on how you can protect yourself from attracting the animal. Here are those tips:
- Trim back excess vegetation that might otherwise provide cover
- Do not feed birds or other wildlife, which might attract bobcats
- Do not feed the bobcats
- Do not leave pet food or water outdoors
- Vaccinate your pets
- Keep pets indoors or in secure, protective cages or pens
- Consider a deterrent that generates electronic sounds that mimic the calls of bobcats' enemies, for instance, the hiss of a cougar
If you keep these tips in mind, you should be alright. If you see the bobcat in your yard, you should contact Animal Control immediately at 812-435-6015! Be safe!
Thanks to Sara Brown for passing along this info!