2017 Fruits and Veggies Challenge for a Better YOU!
One of the things that makes me different from most of my family is that I am not competitive. It drives my husband CRAZY. If we play a game, I'm more interested in having fun than winning. But, again I'm in the minority which is why I cut out family games at holidays. There was NO winning because everyone left unhappy.
But, there is one aspect of my life that I am competitive in - and that's with myself. Yes, if I tell myself I'm going to do something, I DO IT. I guilt myself. Weird, I know. I breastfed my child for an entire year because someone told someone else I'd quit within a week. I lost a lot of weight and have kept it off because my inner competitiveness. I challenge myself...
My 2017 challenge is to make sure that 50% of my food purchases are fruits and vegetables. WHAT?? Sounds hard, right! But, I started early and yesterday I counted it up - 22 of my 44 items were fruits and veggies. I know that sounds like a lie - I had EXACTLY 22 out of 44... okay I actually had 45 items but one was fabric softener so I didn't count it!
But, there are a lot of great ways to incorporate fruits and veggies in your meals!
1. Top off breakfast with bananas, strawberries, and/or blueberries for sweet or avocado and tomatoes for savory: Power Breakfast Recipe: Cheesy Egg Toast with Fresh Veggies
2. Use the crockpot - just toss in ingredients: A New Twist on Dinner – Spicy Beef and CousCous [RECIPE]
3. Mix peppers, spinach, and/or mushrooms in your morning eggs: Quiche Cupcakes [RECIPE]
4. Top mac and cheese with sautéed tomatoes, zucchini, green onions, and squash: Easiest and Most Delicious Homemade Mac and Cheese Recipe You’ll Ever Need
5. Mix diced onion, tomatoes, zucchini, onions, squash, etc. with your burgers, salmon patties, crab cakes, and ground chicken patties: Crab Cake Recipe
6. Make sure desserts have a fruit component and use coconut oil instead of butter: Blackberry Crumble Cobbler [RECIPE]