10 Questions With KISS-FM’s Kat Mykals
Kat Mykals is probably best known as the voice of reason on The Rob’s Radio Show with Kat Mykals, mornings on 106.1 KISS-FM. Incidentally, she is also most likely the voice that most men think about when diddling their girlfriends, wives and even their mistresses. Hey, hate the game, not the player – or whatever phrase you pop culture kids have coined these days.
However, even though we have visual proof that Kat Mykals spends the majority of her days locked away in the KISS-FM studios spinning All the Hits, we thought it would be an interesting experiment to pry into Kat’s personal life to find out what really goes on when one of Evansville’s sexiest on-air personalities turns off the microphone.
To do this, we cornered Kat in the studio earlier last week and asked her 10 completely random questions about karaoke, embarrassing moments and unusual talents that, by the time the interview was over, made us feel as though we really had a grip on who Kat Mykals really is – not to mention a better understanding of how not to use a gym membership.
This is what we uncovered:
1. What is your favorite restaurant in Evansville and what on the menu would you recommend to your listeners? Give me a Sportsman’s burger any day of the week! Technically, it’s “bar food” more so than a restaurant, but you really can’t go wrong with a great burger. Sportsman’s is the place to get it and don’t forget the cheese cubes – a mixed batch of cheddar & pepper jack!
2. It’s karaoke night – what song must you sing before leaving the bar? Let me start by asking you a question. Do you know the English translation of the word karaoke? It’s “I can’t freakin’ sing, but I like to!” That being said, I have several go-to-favorites. It seems like when I deviate from my repertoire of the 6 or so songs I know well, things get “pitchy, yo” in a hurry! Now, to actually answer your question, my favorite song to karaoke is a cover of Fleetwood Mac’s “Gold Dust Woman.” Back in 1996 Hole, Courtney Love’s band, covered the track & it was on the soundtrack for The Crow: City of Angels. It is a little darker & edgier than the original – a little more rock-n-roll, and I love it!
3. What would you say is your most embarrassing moment? When I was going to college, I got a membership to the fitness center because I thought I wanted to get into shape. There were a line of about 4 or 5 treadmills and they all back up to the wall, except for one. It backed up to the steps leading to the free weight room. So I’m using the treadmill, and I have my mp3 player going, rockin’ out, when I realize that, I can jog to this song in perfect time to the music. As I am jogging, which I never, ever do by the way, I start to get shin splints. Bad! I pushed the button on the treadmill to slow it down, and while I am still to this day not exactly sure what happened, I may have inadvertently sped that sucker up! I am trying to keep up when I panic, and my feet go out from under me! Normally, one of two things would happen here. 1) I would be wearing the safety kill cable, and the treadmill would stop. 2) It would just shoot me off the back and that would be the end of it. Yeah… not so much! Did I mention that they were backed up to the wall & steps? This mechanical menace drops me flat on my belly, knees bent, feet in the air, and shoots me back only to pin me against the stairs! Of course, I scream some sort of expletive, and as I am laying there, mind you without the safety kill strap, the belt on the treadmill is still turning at a fairly nice pace, and I can’t get up! The kid working comes running over, shuts the machine down, and helps me up. As I sit down on one of the sleeping beasts (the treadmill next to mine) he asks me if I’m ok. Through teary eyes, I tell him I think so, and then reveal to him, “except… I think… I think… that’s my skin!” Indeed there was a little piece of me left behind on the belt because I had an abrasion up my left shin, to my hip and an abrasion on my right shoulder. I left that place in a hurry and never went back! I really hope there weren’t any surveillance cameras in there! Moral of the story: When I say that I don’t run because, I fall down. I mean it!
4. If you could take a trip right now to anywhere in the world – where would you go and why? In December of 2011, I had the chance to go to Dallas, Texas and while I was there, I got to see my aunt and cousins who live near by. It was the first time that I had been there or seen them in more than 20 years. It was a very short trip, as we were there for other reasons, but I would give anything to go back. It was like going home. My aunt is in her 60′s, and her health isn’t the worst, but it isn’t the best. I’m not sure I have another 20 years to wait to get back down there. She is an incredible woman.
5. If you had the power to ban one song from ever being played again, what would it be? Just one? *Sigh* Ok. Ok… Let’s see… I think I have to go with Nicki Minaj’s “Super Bass.” Now before you hunt me down, and stone me in the streets, here me out. This was one of those songs that just got played so much that I honestly got burnt out on it.
6. Who would win in an arm wrestling contest – you or Leslie Morgan from WKDQ? Oh! Leslie for sure! I think she is some kind of super-hero resulting from some kind of bizarre accident involving radio waves and a set of headphones!
7. When it comes to men – are beer bellies really a turn off, or does a great personality make up for the bulge? I think that a little bit of a belly is certainly fine. Lord knows I don’t look like a swimsuit model! I definitely think that a great personality and an awesome sense of humor more than make up for any type of physical shortcomings. I feel like in today’s world there is too much emphasis on physical appearance and not near enough focus on the content of a person’s character. I think that is really what matters most.
8. What would you say is your most unusual talent? My most unusual talent? That’s easy! Give me a car with a carbureted engine, rear wheel drive, and a positraction rear-end and be prepared to be amazed at how awesome I am at burning off the back tires! I have been doing burnouts & donuts since I was 15. I’m practically a pro!
9. What is the most expensive item you have ever purchased impulsively? Now that’s a funny question. Anyone who knows me well knows that I don’t like to pay full price for anything! I typically shop on the cheap. I like to shop sales, clearance, and second-hand. I work hard for my money, and spending $30 for a T-shirt that I know didn’t cost more than $3 to make seems silly. Now that being said, there was one pair jeans that I splurged on, and I actually paid full price for them. Why? Because they made my butt look awesome! …I wish I were kidding.
10. If Hollywood decided to make a movie of your life – what would the movie be called and what actor would play you? ’The Geeky Chick: A Life in Headphones’ starring Sandra Bullock. I have always felt like I was the geeky girl, and yet I have one of the coolest jobs in the world. I spend my day in headphones, and there is never a dull moment! I think Sandra Bullock would be a great representation of Kat Mykals. She’s got it all. She is such a diverse actress. Intelligent and serious, “The Blindside.” Sweet and charming, “Practical Magic.” Geeky and Classy, “Miss Congeniality.” Sandra Bullock would definitely play Kat Mykals in the story of my life.